Friday, November 10, 2006

Personal Background

When I was ten, my father sent me to my mother, who operates a large-scale electronics factory in Thailand. I began to absorb knowledge from my mother and study academic subjects such as English, Science, and Math...etc at Rranboode International School (RIS) in Thailand, where multicultural interactions really broadened my horizon. Not until I faced language and cultural barriers do I truly realize English is really important to me. However, that was my first time to use English as a bridge to communicate and made friends with foreigners. Most of the students came from different countries and imbued with various cultural backgrounds. Without English, I definitely would not have survived the impact. Like most Taiwanese students, I am too shy to express my feelings or ideas. Fortunately, based upon my fast-growing English skills, I became able to overcome the language barriers and cope with intercultural situations, such as discrimination (Be specific!!) and was eventually nominated as a class leader.
My mother, Joan, is not only an entrepreneur but also a great mentor of mine. She went to Thailand to seek a more challenging life, not to live in the path of ease and comfort. She was then under the stress and spur of difficulties, facing language and cultural barriers alone. She spared no effort doing her business with little capital and few resources. Her spirit was really moving, and has had a great influence on me. At night, my mother hardly closed her eyes. There were just too many problems such as …that have been bothering her, but time is like the tide that awaits no one(add some more sentence before you cite this proverb). She knew she had to move on quickly. She always told me that everyone has a chance to choose the life they want, no matter how long you live. Indeed, it’s the value of life that counts!
I discover that her enthusiastic, positive attitude was what won the clients’ confidence. My goal is to exceed my mother’s achievements, and I will undoubtedly make significant contributions to academic excellence and social activities by using language and knowledge as a springboard.
Studying abroad has always been one of my dreams! I went to Berkeley for Summer Session this year, organizing a marketing project with Berkeley students for the Postal Vault (http://postalvault.com/) company in United State. I am in charge of the “strategy” section. The job includes analyzing the company‘s current situation, and giving innovative ideas to the Creative, PR Promotion and Media Planning team. Those splendid memories filled me with international vision, and imbued me with a more positive attitude.
Right after I came back from Berkeley, I joined the entreperneurship competition which was held by TIC100. Our business model is to provide the carpool services for both car-owners and passengers, which benefit from each other. In the meanwhile they can reduce air-pollution when carpooling. I encourage myself when I face troublesome difficulties. “If not us, who? If not now, when?” If you really want to do it, do it with your heart full! Try hard and have no regret!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home